Saturday, February 22, 2014

American Express Serve

I have read horror stories all over the web for the Amex Serve card though not as severe as their BlueBird card.

I'll be able to weigh in on that personally over the next week as I will start using the card on Monday the 24th.

From my last post you'd know I lost my GoBank card - I've been very happy with GoBank but its a minimum 2 weeks to send out another card - so I ACH's the funds to Serve last Monday. Monday though was a Banking holiday President's Day so the money won't show up till this Monday. If I had used my head I would have made the transaction via the GoBank debit card before I reported it lost. Then the transfer would have been instant I believe.

So I called Serve customer service and the rep who spoke pretty good English checked and said the money will post Monday.

A list of things you shouldn't do with Serve

1 - Do not use someone else's debit or credit card - even your husband, wife, parents, child etc to put money into the account. The name on the card must match the account name exactly.

2 - Do not use the remote check deposit feature (on any prepaid account) because it's highly possible that the funds will be held for much longer than you wish. Cash the check at Walmart for $3 - it's safe and quick.

3 - Do not use the card at a gas pump. Pull cash out for gas or buy gas gift cards. If you use it at the pump there will be a hold placed on the card.

4 - Sub Accounts are just asking for trouble.

5 - DO NOT CALL customer service unless you feel an absolute need to. I probably shouldn't have called myself about the ACH. Calling them invites some type of change to be made or a misunderstanding.